The tax office is closed July 5th and Legal Holidays.
Hours are also available by appointment.
Additional Discount Hours
August 27th 9am-12pm
August 28 9am-12pm
August 30th 9am-12pm & 4pm-7pm
August 31st 9am-12pm & 2pm-6pm
Additional Face Hours
September 15th 9am-12pm
October 15th 9am-12pm
October 29th 9am-12pm
November 1st 9am-12pm & 4pm-7pm
Duplicate Bill Fee is $4.00 per bill (does not apply to property owners requesting bill copies)
Tax Certification is $25.00.
$25.00 will be charged for any returned checks.
County & Township real estate tax bills are mailed February 1st. Discount is due March 31st and Face is due May 31st.
School real estate tax bills and per capita tax bills are mailed July 1st. Discount is due August 31st and Face is due October 31st.
Make checks payable to:Jennifer Marsteller, Treasurer
Credit Cards may be used for any tax payments, see #4 below. Information will also appear on all bills as to the process.
The tax office address is: 1954 East High Street, Suite 1 Pottstown PA, 19464
The office is located in the office building on the south side of East High Street next to the Family Services building and across from the old Visiting Nurses building. The office has handicapped accessable ground floor access.
The following companies are collecting prior year taxes:
Per Capita: Berkheimer 866-701-7202
County: Montgomery County Tax Claim 610-278-1216
School/Township: Portnoff Law Associates 866-211-9466
Important Information Regarding Your Bill
1. Retain Taxpayers Portion for your records. If paying in person, please bring the entire bill.
2. If you would like a receipt, please return the entire bill with a self-addressed stamped envelope. No receipt will be returned unless accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope and the entire bill.
3. If you have received this bill in error and/or the bill is to be paid by someone other than you, please forward the bill to property party for payment. If your taxes are paid by your mortgage company, please forward them the bill as soon as possible.
4. Payments may be made by Check, Money Order, Cash, or by Credit Card. Payments may be combined onto one check. Payments may be made via credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express) through Official Payments by phone 800-272-9829 (use Jurisdiction Code 4887) or online www.officialpayments.com. Please Note: A convenience fee of 3% will be charged for using this service. The fee is paid directly to Official Payments. Neither the tax office nor the taxing bodies receive any portion of this fee.
5. If the first installment of the School real estate taxes is paid, the additional three installment coupons will be mailed the beginning of September. The second, third, and fourth payments will be equal to the first and due September 15, October 15, and November 15, respectively.
6. No partial payments, other than those outlined in the installment plan above, can be accepted and no post-dated checks are accepted. Payments must be received by the due date on the tax bill or must be postmarked on or before its due date by the United States Postal Service. Any incorrect amounts or late postmarks will be returned to the sender. Postage meter dates are not valid proof of mailing and will not be accepted as proof of mailing.
7. A $25.00 fee will be charged for any returned check.
8. Under Pennsylvania law, taxpayers are responsible for their taxes regardless of whether or not they have received their bill. PL1050 states, "Failure to receive notice shall not relieve any taxpayer from the payment of any taxes imposed by any taxing district, and such taxpayer shall be charged with his taxes as though he had received notice."
9. Payments may be made via a marked, secure drop box on the exterior wall at the rear of 1954 East High Street, Pottstown, PA 19464, outside the door to the tax office entrance. Cash payments will not be accepted via the drop box and the tax office assumes no responsibility for any cash payments placed in the box. Payments received in the drop box prior to the expiration of the period will be credited for the appropriate period.
10. Taxes unpaid after December 31st will be forwarded to the appropriate party for collection.
11. Personal checks will not be accepted between December 15th and December 31st. Only guaranteed funds (cash, money order, certified check) will be accepted.
GENERAL INFORMATION - TAX COLLECTION
When are taxes due?
County and township taxes are sent out on February 1. The school and per capita taxes are sent out on July 1. Residents have 60 days to pay their tax bills. The discount is good for the county and township taxes until March 31. The face is good until May 31, and residents have until December 31 to pay the penalty. The taxes mailed on July 1- school and per capita taxes- have a discount which is good until August 31. The face is good until October 31, and residents have until December 31 to pay the penalty.
Where can I pay them?
Residents can mail their tax bill to or they can be paid in person at the tax collector's office at 1954 East High Street - Suite 1 - Pottstown, PA 19464.
What do they pay for?
Lower Pottsgrove Township provides many important services to its residents and businesses with the use of tax money. Police, fire, emergency service protection, roads and sewers, trash collection, park and recreation facilities, as well as code enforcement and direct response by the Township staff to a variety of requests from residents are just some of the numerous services made available.
How is the bill calculated?
Lower Pottsgrove Township levies several taxes- Real Estate Tax, Per Capita Tax, Local Services Tax, and Earned Income Tax- to pay for basic services. The Per Capita, Local Services Tax, and Real Estate Taxes are collected by Jen Marsteller at 610-326-6960; the Earned Income Tax and Local Services Tax are collected by Berkheimer Associates at 1-800-360-8989.
Real Estate taxes- Townships, counties, and school districts levy taxes on real estate in the form of mills. A mill is $1 of taxes for every $1000 of a property's assessment. The average home in Lower Pottsgrove is assessed at $120,000. This means that one mill of tax costs the average homeowner $120.00 per year. Millage may change each year depending on the budget of the taxing body.
Per Capita tax- The Township per capita tax is an annual fee of $15 levied against all persons aged 18 or over who reside in the Township. Of that, the school district levies a $10 per capita tax. Senior citizens with low income levels may apply for an exemption.
Local Services tax- This tax is an annual fee of $52 levied against all persons who are employed in Lower Pottsgrove. This tax is split between the Township and the school district. The agency, Berkheimer Associates, can be reached at 1-800-360-8989.
Earned Income tax - This tax is a one percent tax on earned income from residents in the Township in which the funds are shared by the township and school district. Most employers deduct this tax directly from resident's paychecks and forward the funds to the collection agency. Half the amount goes to the township and half goes to the Pottsgrove School District. The agency, Berkheimer Associates, can be reached at 1-800-360-8989.